Friday, April 18, 2008

To be passive, or not to be...

So, since we're on the topic of Wen Ho Lee...

I have been thinking a lot about the role of the Asian American community in politics. Asian Americans have only recently received the right to vote in comparison to our nation's history, and it is both appalling that it took so long for us to get here, and at the same time it is amazing that we have such a power to participate. I remember when I first became interested in politics--the California recall election, the results of which I mourn everyday (funny fact, Schwarzenegger used to work out in a gym that is super close to my house). I rooted for Peter Camejo, a Green party candidate who had no chance. With my obsession with Peter, I became enthralled in the world of politics, and the idea of making a change.

I even made it a point to convince my entire family to vote. I was successful with my older sister and my dad. My mom, on the other hand, was a lost cause. She refuses to vote. I still to this day make a point to say "you know, mom, if you don't vote, you can't really complain about who's in charge." You know, just to get her thinking about being more active. I suppose her reasons for not voting have to do with her apathy towards the political system, or maybe just the idea that one vote will not make a difference. Or maybe she doesn't trust herself to be a part of the decision making process. Who knows. Point being, my mom is what we would call an example of the passive Asian American stereotype.

Wen Ho Lee stayed out of politics because he didn't want to cause any trouble. He just wanted to live out the American dream in peace and quiet and the company of his family. I don't think the reason for my mom's apathy is the same as Wen Ho Lee's. I don't think all Asians who don't vote have the same reason for not participating in politics (if in fact they are in the majority that do not participate), but somehow collectively we have drawn attention towards this stereotype that we are all passive.

Wen Ho Lee made a point at the end of his book to say that he hopes his children's generation is more politically active than himself, or his own generation. I initially criticized this statement, but upon second thought I am beginning to think: Maybe Wen Ho Lee's generation could not have afforded to be in the spotlight of political activity to get where they did. Maybe it is the responsible of the next generation to make a comeback in the political world and to change the stereotype that has become us. My generation of Asian Americans lives in a world where we are sitting on the shoulders of those before us, like Newton once said, and we have the freedom to speak out if necessary, without worrying about our simple states of well-being and economic security. I feel pretty lucky to be able to get a college education, and that my parents can pay for it. I also feel like I have been given a chance to make a difference--so maybe I will.

No comments: